The TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration treatment is a non-surgical method of treating hair loss and hair thinning. It makes use of a combination of the following:
- Extracellular matrix (ECM), a wound-healing technology created by ACell corp, which acts as a temporary scaffold for damaged tissue. It attracts an increased supply of blood and adult stem cells which assists in healing of human tissue such as skin and muscle.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP), the concentrated serum taken from a patient’s own blood, which contains regenerative properties and is responsible for healing cuts and wounds;
- Vitamin D, which is proven to increase transformation of cells in tissue culture to transplantable hair follicles.
- Other custom components for the individual’s cause of hair loss such as anti-inflammatory medication.
How Does the TrichoStem® Treatment Work?
In normal hair growth, the dermal papilla, which is located at the root of the hair follicle, sends signals to the progenitor cells, a type of adult stem cell which surrounds the hair follicle and is responsible for the healthy growth of hair on the head. Continuous communication between the dermal papilla and the progenitor cells is essential for normal hair growth.
One important aspect of male pattern hair loss occurs when normal testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase.
The presence of DHT in hair follicles (male) causes hair to become progressively thinner with each succeeding growth cycle depending on the hair follicle’s relative sensitivity to DHT. Thinning hair will eventually stop growing altogether.
Benefits of TrichoStem® Treatment
Non-surgical and non-scarring
The TrichoStem® Treatment is a non-surgical hair regeneration procedure, wherein an ECM and PRP solution is directly injected into the scalp.
Each injection treatment is customized and carefully prepared to suit each individual. This is accomplished after a thorough analysis of the patient’s current hair loss profile and using data from Dr. Prasad’s more than 7 years of experience developing the TrichoStem Hair Regeneration System .
The Trichostem® customized preparation and treatment takes approximately 2 hours, and improved results in hair thickness and regrowth can be visible as early as 30 days from the date of treatment, making it one of the quickest and most effective procedures in addressing hair loss. Most male patients see results after a few months, with full benefit manifesting in about a year to 18 months.
Results may appear to take longer in women the presence of longer hair may obscure shorter hairs which have regrown. As these hairs grow longer, the density improves and typically the hair part looks better. Early growth may be seen in the temples, frontal hair line and the fringe of the crown (top of the head).
Longevity of TrichoStem Hair Regeneration Treatment
The exact longevity of the TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration system is yet to be determined with current data showing benefit from 2-5 years, and beyond. Individual hair loss profiles based on age of onset, rate of progression and degree of hair loss has implications on the lifespan of a hair growth cycle. The hair growth cycle tends to be shorter with aggressive hair loss progression as well as in patients with long standing advanced hair loss.
The TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration treatment has been on the market for the last 7 years. In its first few years, the treatment was performed mainly on patients after having undergone hair transplants, or in conjunction with a hair transplant. After the first 3 years, it became the primary, standalone treatment of Dr. Prasad’s hair restoration division and almost entirely replaced hair transplants altogether.
After 5 years of using the treatment, no patient has come back for re-treatment because their hair had started progressively thinning. While the vast majority of patients only needed one treatment, a few patients with very advanced hair thinning did have a second treatment after 12-18 months to build on initial results.
As we go beyond the 5 year point of the original TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration patients, we continue to monitor the longevity and trends of this treatment with continual review and refinement. There are some people who do not respond with the treatment. The cumulative data and experience from more than 7 years of helping people with hair loss has led to further refinement and improvement. Customized treatment plans with specific formulations based on our clinical data has made a significant difference in managing hair loss on an individual basis.
Limitations of TrichoStem® Treatment
- TrichoStem® cannot bring back lost hair follicles, nor can it activate “dead” hair follicles. It can only work on existing hair follicles that are still active and present on the head, as well as thicken thinned out hair that is almost invisible.
- TrichoStem® is more effective on patients experiencing hair loss and hair thinning, as opposed to severe hair loss patients who exhibit a completely smoothed scalp and total frontal hair loss.
TrichoStem® vs. Hair Transplants
- Hair transplants (both FUEs and FUTs) do not prevent future hair thinning and hair loss, while TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration manages hair loss progression and maximizes coverage with existing hair.
- TrichoStem® is a non-surgical procedure, whereas hair transplants require extensive surgery.
- TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration treatment may be used synergistically with hair transplants to increase donor area scar healing, stop progressive native hair loss (non-transplanted natural hair), and increasing survival rate of transplanted hair grafts.